Dental implants are a great way to restore the health and beauty of your smile. Drs. Okediji, Bram, and Danesh are thrilled to offer this restorative procedure to give patients long-lasting teeth replacements. Please contact Magnificent Mile Family Dental at 312-280-0034 to learn more about dental implants in Chicago, Illinois, and to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists.
For your convenience, we are happy to provide you with some post-op instructions for dental implants. Please follow these instructions carefully to help with your comfort and promote healing:
- After the procedure, do not disturb the surgical area.
- Swelling is normal and typically reaches its maximum in 48 hours. To reduce swelling, apply cold packs or an ice bag wrapped in a towel to the area adjacent to the surgical area. Do this for 20 minutes, and then remove the ice for 20 minutes. Follow this pattern for the first 12-24 hours after surgery. After 24 hours, we recommend applying a moist heating pad to the area until swelling has minimized.
- Avoid drinking with a straw, along with vigorous rinsing or spitting, as this may cause bleeding.
- Do not stretch your lip to examine the surgical site, or poke the area with your tongue, fingers, or any other objects. This could cause the stitches to loosen, opening the incision and delaying the healing of the implant.
- If you smoke, do not do so for at least 2 or 3 days after surgery. Failure to do this will delay healing.
- It is important to rinse your mouth with warm salt water (1/2 tsp. salt with 1 cup water) every 2-3 hours. Continue this process for a few days, then rinse 3-4 times a day for the next 2 weeks.
- You may resume normal tooth brushing the day after surgery, but make sure to avoid the operated area. Rinse your toothbrush under hot water to soften the bristles, and make sure to avoid aggressive rinsing. It is important to not neglect brushing your teeth because any accumulation of food or debris may promote infection.
- Limit physical activity following surgery. After a day or two, you should be able to resume light activity.
- Increase your fluid intake (but do not use a straw) following surgery, and maintain a soft foods diet. Avoid carbonated beverages, like soda, as well as very hot foods or drinks. A nutritious diet throughout the healing period is vital for your comfort and healing.
- Keep in mind that it might be difficult to chew and open your mouth due to tightness of the jaw muscles. This should dissipate within a week’s time. Keep lips moisturized with cream or Vaseline to prevent cracking or peeling. Bruising may also occur but should disappear soon.
For additional information on post-op care for dental implants, please do not hesitate to contact our office!