As you clean your smile each day, it’s important that you floss between each tooth properly. Some people think flossing is a bit tricky and confusing, resulting in a sloppy and improper flossing job. However, flossing isn’t as hard as you may think, and we’re happy to help you! If you use these five flossing tips, you will be able to care for your smile by properly flossing your teeth each day:
1. Take about 18 inches of floss and wind the majority of it around one of your middle fingers. Then, wind the rest of the floss around the same middle finger on the opposite hand. This finger will hold the used floss as you work through your smile.
2. Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Slide the floss gently between your teeth. Please do your best to not snap the floss into your gums. This could damage the tissues.
4. When you begin flossing against the gum line, curve the floss into a “C” shape and gently slide it into the space between the tooth and gums. Clean the area by gently scraping the surface of the tooth.
5. After you clean the gum line, hold the floss tightly against the side of the tooth and rub it with an up and down motion, freeing the food particles and plaque that reside there. Then, repeat this motion between each tooth. Don’t forget to clean the back of your last tooth.
Make sure you remember to use a clean section of floss between each tooth. This will help you have the best cleaning results possible. If you would like to know the purpose behind flossing or if you would like more details on perfecting your flossing technique, please feel free to call our office today. We are excited to help you in any way we can!